If you’re looking for a pizza with that crispy, crunchy pizzeria quality crust, then you’ve come to the right recipe. Pizza stones are often the go-to item for executing that crispy crust because they have a high heat surface, but another kitchen item that works just as well is a Lodge Cast Iron baking pan or skillet. Cast iron skillets and pans work similar to pizza stones giving you that high level of heat needed to produce that golden brown look and texture. If you’re looking to elevate your pizza game to the next level, then check out this classic cast iron pizza recipe with Lodge Cast Iron.
Classic Cast Iron Pizza
PREP TIME: 45 min COOK TIME: 8-10 min
- Pizza Dough
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 packet (.25oz) of active dry rapid-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ tsp. of honey
- 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Sauce & Toppings
- ¼ cup pizza sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- Toppings of Your Choice
- Oil for Coating Griddle
- In a large mixing bowl, mix ½ cup flour with yeast and salt. Dissolve honey in lukewarm water and add to mixture. Add olive oil.
- In the bowl of a mixer, or using a wooden spoon, mix for 3 minutes. Mix in remaining flour (dough should be only slightly sticky.)
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth, approximately 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Allow to rise for 10 additional minutes.
- Add a light coat of olive oil to your Cast Iron skillet or pan, place it in the oven, and begin preheating your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Punch down and spread one of the halves by hand or roller.
- Remove your Cast Iron Baking Pan or Cast Iron Skillet from the oven and place your dough onto it. (Be careful to not touch the cast iron.)
- Add toppings and sauce of your choice and place in your preheated 450 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 8-10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cool 2-3 minutes before cutting or serving. Enjoy!